If you’ve ever read my blog before, you can probably tell that I’m a fan of banana breads and finding new ways to spruce them up! I stumbled across a banana crumb cake on Pinterest and adapted it to be vegan and allergy-friendly! It’s perfect for anyone with milk, egg, peanut, or tree nut allergies!
Ingredients for Bread:
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup vegan butter softened (We love Country Crock Plant Based Butter or Earth Balance vegan butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer (or another egg replacement of your choosing) – need the equivalent of 2 eggs
Ingredients for Crumb Cake Topping:
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a 9×13 pan
- Combine the softened butter (for the bread) and sugar in a bowl and beat until well blended (I just used a fork to do this but you can also use a mixer.) Add in mashed banana, egg replacer, and vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and stir until combined. You will have a thick mixture – don’t let that scare you!
- Pour into the bottom of the greased pan.
- In another bowl, combine all ingredients for the crumb cake topping. Work the mixture together using a fork to form crumbs. You don’t need to overdo this – picture a typical crumb cake – the lumps are a good thing!
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the entire bread mixture. This will be a pretty thick layer of crumby yumminess!
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean).
- Enjoy warm or cooled!
Let me know if you try out the recipe!