Biscuits and gravy has always been one of the best meals my husband makes. He’s been dying to find a way to let our daughter try them but her dairy and egg allergies have made that difficult. Today he adapted a recipe found on Pinterest to make vegan biscuits and they were DELICIOUS!!! We’ll attempt gravy soon and I’ll share once we find a good recipe. But for now I’ll leave you with the biscuit recipe! PS – they were taste approved by everyone in our house! Once again, I’ll include exactly the items we used for those that may not know where to start with using good substitutes, but feel free to modify to your favorite brands if you want!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup Country Crock Plant Butter (sticks – chilled and cubed)
- 3/4 cup Oat Milk (we used Silk brand) chilled in the freezer
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place the cubed plant butter and oat milk in the freezer.
- Combine sugar, salt, flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter (or a fork if you don’t have one) to add the chilled cubed butter into the dry mix. This will make the mixture a course ground consistency.
- Add the oat milk and work into the flour to form a crumbly, soft dough. Pour out onto a floured surface and knead into a 5-6 inch rectangle. Fold in half and knead a total of 3 times. You should end with the same 5-6 inch rectangle.
- Roll the dough out with a rolling pin and cut about 6-8 biscuits using a biscuit cutter or the mouth of a juice glass. Reknead the remaining dough and repeat these steps to cut more biscuits.
- Brush with melted plant butter and bake for 11-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
**This recipe is dairy and egg free. The Country Crock plant butter, however may contain soy so you’ll want to swap that for a different vegan butter if you have a soy allergy!
If you try this recipe, make sure to let me know how you like it! It’s definitely going to be our go-to biscuit recipe from now on!